When a customer orders food from his favourite restaurant, or walks in to one of his favourite establishments, his relationship with the restaurant is largely connected by the menu. It helps him decide what to eat - based on the price, description, ingredients stated, and much more. But restaurant professionals know that menu management isn’t as easy as just adding a few items, deciding prices, & printing copies. It is as much science as it is art, and it could be the main factor of success or failure for a restaurant.
So what is Menu Management? As the term suggests, menu management helps restaurant professionals to develop or invent new recipes, provide nutritional data on food ingredients, determine the price for an item, and address food labeling requirements. The menu is also termed as the “the driver” of a restaurant operation. The term indicates that every part of a foodservice operation is connected by the menu and stresses how a menu is a managerial tool for controlling many aspects of a restaurant operation.
As a business scales online, many considerations go into the decision-making process for the menu. The way you design the menu, the categories that you use, the descriptions you write, and the format that it comes in all play a major role in menu optimization.
The menu is at the center of every dining or ordering experience hence there are some crucial factors that a restaurant should focus on to make the menu more effective. UrbanPiper’s Satellite Prime is a robust POS solution that can help your restaurant take care of menu management rather easily.
Satellite Prime has the following features that make menu management a breeze -
1. Centralized Menu Management - A centralized inventory setup. If you are running a restaurant with multiple outlets, managing the menu for each outlet separately becomes a tedious task. UrbanPiper provides a centralized dashboard that helps you disable an item that is out-of-stock on all the aggregators with a single toggle.
2. Recipe Management - The recipe for a product is the set of ingredients that you use to make that item. This feature helps you to standardize your recipe across all your outlets. A standard recipe management software should be able to give you every minute detail like quantities to be used, the temperature it should be heated at for the dishes to be prepared. It helps you to maintain consistency in terms of quality also keeps your food costs in check by reducing undue wastage
3. Category Handling - It's a given that you will have different categories to differentiate the items in a restaurant. Satellite Prime allows you to understand the impact of categories on different aggregators and the different constraints on each of them. For instance, you can set category timing - where, if you have some categories which are only available only on certain days or certain at a certain time in a day, you can set the timing group for that category.
4. Raw Material Management - Raw materials can be your item ingredients, packaging material or other things that you have to procure like tissues for the restaurant. You can associate locations, for example, specific outlets that the raw materials are available at. The product can only be sold at these locations and have your suitable unit selected in which the raw materials can be measured. Identifiers like Standard Cost Price (for base unit) can also be set and the average cost will be automatically calculated as you receive a stock.
5. Reports reconciliation and Insights - It is important to regularly analyze and update the menu as per the customer demands, while still ensuring that the menu is high on profit. UrbanPiper provides multiple ways to extract data reports which help you understand more about your business. It records the performance of each menu item and gives you item-wise reports to have detailed insights about your most selling and least selling items. It ensures that your financial activity is properly recorded and the amounts are all accounted for.
Creating a perfect menu is a lot of fun, but it also needs a lot of concentration and hard work as its presentation is so integral to the customer experience. It is not easy to make sure you are balancing your creativity with systematic categorization, proper pricing, and easy-to-understand descriptions of the dishes. Having a menu management tool such as Satellite Prime on your side can make the job a whole lot easier.